I wrote in my review for the Kuvings Slow Juicer that I use half as much produce as I used to now that I got the masticating juicer. That’s true, and as someone who juices every day, it makes a huge difference. I used to buy around 10 organic cucumbers a week and twice that many if they were on sale… That’s not a joke – I used to get my groceries delivered to me when I lived in London and the delivery dudes always thought I was nuts for buying so many.
With the new juicer I don’t have to use nearly as much produce to get a glass of juice, so I’ve narrowed it down to this recipe:
adorpheus’ Daily Green
- 1 gala or pink lady apple, cored and chopped
- 1 inch long chunk of ginger
- 1 lime, peeled or half a lemon, peeled
- half of one cucumber OR 4-5 celery stalks, chopped
- 100 grams of collard greens, kale, or spinach, OR one head of romaine lettuce
- a handful of parsley or cilantro (optional)
- half a broccoli stalk (optional)
Juice the greens first, and then everything else except the cucumber/celery. Juice that last. That’s it! Makes one mason jar (above) of juice.
I know, I know, you may be asking “what do I do with half a cucumber or half a lemon once I make this juice”? You use it in the following day’s juice, duh!
I tend to tweak the recipe depending on what’s in season and what I have on hand. Like for example, lately organic lemons have been hard to come by, so I’ve been using limes. I have collard greens and kale in my garden that are fully grown so I’ve been using them a lot. Go with whatever works!